Friday 16 October 2015

Technical Art - III

Welcome to the third post in the series Technical Art!

We have been introduced to the concept of scripting in Maya and so far it seems very straightforward.

The thing that fascinates me most is that Maya seems to use its internal language to handle pretty much every action that the user can perform in the tool: this means that scripting has limitless potential to automate any kind of action and can manipulate the scene with a lot of freedom, as it has effectively the same scope of action that a normal user would have.

I have been experimenting with user interface creation scripts and combining those with the tasks that we have been given during the lecture, for example I expanded upon the first "cube army" script to make it configurable through a window.


I am pretty confident that I will be able to create a good user interface now that I know what kind of approach I have to use, and the documentation that Maya provides is very useful and it helped me a lot in finding the functions that I needed to achieve the result I wanted.

I will focus more on rigging in the next weeks as I want to have a more clear idea of the script I will be making for my coursework, but at the moment I still lack knowledge of some steps regarding advanced rigging tools that I think we will be covering in the next weeks, for now I will keep on practising and researching more advanced techniques, so stay tuned for more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment