Saturday 19 September 2015

Technical Art - I


Hi everyone, from today I will be starting a new post series about a module I am currently studying at university: Technical Art Applications.

Since the first lecture the module seems to be very interesting and I've always wanted to have a chance to have a better understanding on how 3D animators work and what the rigging process looks like, so choosing this module was a no brainer!

The most interesting thing about the module so far is that we have been given a lot of freedom on what to do for our coursework, which also means that I will need to do a lot of research on my own to understand what is best for me and to deliver a good piece of coursework by December.

I have decided to explore game rigs rather than animation or visual effects one simply because my main goal is to work for the games industry and I think that knowing more about how rigging works specifically in this field will be very valuable in terms of understanding how the artists work and what kind of technical problems they might have (and how I can help in solving those problems, obviously!).

Maya seems a very powerful tool and from what I've heard it supports either C++, Mel or python for scripting but we will be using python in the module so this will be a good opportunity to refine my Python skills and knowledge of Maya overall.

Even though it might be too early I have decided to put a lot of focus on the scripting side on for my coursework, but at the the moment I am still trying to figure out what kind of steps and processes could be automated and how far I can push the complexity of the script in this regard, so stay tuned for the next posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment